Many of us spend our lives moving from a smaller home to bigger and bigger homes as our families grow and our lives change. But when it comes to homes, bigger is not always better. There are some true advantages to downsizing your home, and some may surprise you. If you’re thinking of downsizing or maybe moving to one of the maintenance free communities in Greensboro, NC, look for the best real estate agents who will make sure you get the most for your money.
Downsizing to a Smaller Home has Major Benefits:
- Lower monthly mortgage payment. Smaller house, smaller payment. A huge home may seem like a great idea at first, but once you start making those payments you may find that the financial burden is too much to bear.
- Lower monthly utility bills. Less square feet of home means less area to heat, cool, and light. Lower energy bills can make a big difference in your monthly budget, leaving you more money for other things.
- Less maintenance required. The bigger your home, the more maintenance and upkeep it will need. Cleaning, yard work, and other chores add up and take up a lot of your spare time. It may be too much for your family to handle alone, which leads to hiring costly help.
- Pay off your mortgage faster. Interest accrues daily on most home loans, meaning the faster you pay it off, the less total interest you will end up paying. Lenders don’t like this, which means it’s great for the borrower.
- Pay off debt faster. If you have other debt besides your home, such as student loans, credit cards, or car payments, you will have more money left over to pay on these loans. Paying these off faster, especially high rate credit cards, will save you the most money in the long run.
- Have more spending money. You’ve heard the term “house poor” before. It means you put too much of your household income into your home, leaving you without much left for enjoyment. If you buy a home that’s above your means, you better like it a lot because you’ll be spending most of your time there.
- Unburden yourself from too much “stuff.” Like most people, you are likely holding onto possessions that are not crucial to your well-being. In fact, it may even negatively impact your mental and emotional health. Let go of the things you don’t need. Once you feel the weight that is lifted by selling or donating things you rarely use, you’ll understand. Your home is meant for living, not storage.
Find the Right Sized Home for Your Lifestyle in Greensboro
If you’re tired of paying too much for your home or wish to simplify your home’s upkeep, consider downsizing or moving to one of the maintenance free communities in Greensboro, NC. You can find an existing property or have a custom home designed and built that still includes all the luxuries and quality craftsmanship you desire. Enjoy your dream home and your life outside your home as well. Contact Smith Marketing of Allen Tate Realtors® at (336) 451-4921 or (336) 663-1320.